If you need a copy of medical records, please be aware Washington State Law recommends that practitioners retain medical records and x-rays for at least:
- 10 years from the date of a patient’s last visit, prescription refill, telephone contact, test or other patient contact;
- 21 years from the date of a minor patient’s birth;
- 6 years from the date of a patient’s death; or
- Indefinitely, if the practitioner has reason to believe:
- The patient is incompetent;
- There are any problems with a patient’s care, or
- The patient may be involved in litigation.
Therefore, a provider may or may not have a patient’s records anymore.
If you have any questions, please use the contact form to reach out to our office manager.